WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE KIT
- 1kg Rock Alum
- Does not include: Cups, Thread, Dye and Glass Wand, which you will have to buy in a shop.
We show you the detailed step by step video:
- We will use 250g of Alum and 250ml of water. Heat and mix until completely dissolved.
- Pour the solution into a glass. (If you want to colour the glass, add the colouring at this step).
- Place the thread on a rod (or similar) so that it falls over the glass.
- In 30-40 minutes you will start to see crystals forming. After a few hours the crystal will continue to grow.
Crystallisation is the process by which crystals are created from a powdered element. The basis of crystallisation is the greater solubility of an element at a higher temperature than at a lower temperature. As the solution cools, the solubility of the alum decreases and the crystal forms around the wire.