Hydrogel is a water retainer. It is made of a superabsorbent polymer called potassium polyacrylate. A superabsorbent polymer is a material that has the ability to absorb large amounts of water and release it slowly afterwards. Hydrogel belongs to this type of material. It is a material that is presented dry and in the form of white crystals of 1-2 mm in size. Its main use is in agriculture. It is also known as solid rain, water retainer, potassium polyacrylate, water gel, water crystals.
IDENTIFICATION AND PROPERTIES
Name: Hydrogel for Plants
Appearance: Crystals 1,2-2mm
See physico-chemical properties hydrogel for plants.
The hydrogel you find in Alquera is presented in dry form, with a dry grain size between 1.2-1.8mm. The hydrogel absorbs up to 300 times its weight in water, acquiring an irregular crystal size of 10-20mm.
- 3.3 grams absorb 1L of water
- 1Kg absorbs 303L of water
- 5Kg absorbs 1515L of water
- 20Kg absorb 6060 L of water
ADVANTAGES IN THE USE OF HYDROGEL
With the application of hydrogel you get the following advantages:
- Improve sowing, improving seed germination rate and seedling transplant survival rate.
- Roots: Promotes root development, increasing disease resistance.
- Water saving: Increases water reserves in the soil.
- Soil permeability: Improved use of soil organic matter
- Fertilisation: Reduce fertiliser loss
Watch video: Water retention for hydrogel flooring.
FIELD OF APPLICATION OF THE POLYMER
The hydrogel is applicable in practically all situations where water is required. In this dossier you can see quantities and doses of hydrogel application->See Technical Dossier Hydrogel Application.
In this dossier you will find information according to use:
- For pots and seedbeds, the dosage is 1.5-3Kg/m3 (1.5-3Kg of dry hydrogel per m3 of substrate), i.e. 1.5-3g/litre.
- For the maintenance of roots for transplanting.
- Transplanting trees and shrubs. See dosage and application in section
- Application for already planted trees.
- Application for fruit trees.
- Application on turf and sod.
- Application on structural soil mixed with gravel and earth.