Iron filings are very small pieces of iron, used in scientific demonstrations to show the direction of a magnetic field. Iron represents magnetic properties, has a high hardness and density, is used in many applications and accounts for 95% by weight of the world's production of the metal.
IDENTIFICATION AND PROPERTIES
Name: Iron filings
Synonyms: Metallic iron, elemental iron.
- Boiling point: 300 ºC approx.
- Melting point: 1500 ºC approx.
- Vapour pressure: Very low, not harmful at room temperature
- Solubility in water: Very low, will corrode
- Bulk density: 4.5 Tond/M3 approx.
USES IRON FILINGS
- Scientific demonstrations
- Visualisation of the direction of the magnetic field
- School internships
There are no reviews yet.