WHAT IS HYDROGEL
The hydrogel is a water retainer. It consists of a superabsorbent polymer water called potassium polyacrylate. A superabsorbent polymer is a material that has the ability to absorb large amounts of water and release it slowly afterwards. The hydrogel belongs to this type of material. It is a material that is presented dry and in the form of white crystals of 1-2mm in size. Its main use is in agriculture. Also known as solid rain, water retainer, potassium polyacrylate, water gel, water crystals.
USES OF HYDROGEL
Hydrogel crystals can be used for any application where water retention is needed. Their main use is in agriculture for water saving in agriculture, it achieves water retention to save time and irrigation costs. The hydrogel is valid for small pots, for root maintenance, as well as for large surfaces.
WATER RETAINER FOR PLANTS
Dry hydrogel crystals have the ability to absorb water and release it afterwards. This makes the hydrogel a great ally for saving irrigation water and using rainwater. Alquera hydrogel has an absorption capacity of up to 300 times its weight in water. The water absorbed by the polymer can be absorbed by roots of all types of agricultural crops, plants, vegetables, flowers, etc... The water retention of the hydrogel will depend on the type of hydrogel and the salinity of the water applied to it. Here we give you the water absorption capacity of the hydrogel that you find in Alquera (see Alquera hydrogel), with tap water of 2 per mille salinity (standard measurement).
- 1 gram of hydrogel absorbs up to 300ml of water
- 3.3 grams of hydrogel absorbs up to 1L of water
- 200 grams of hydrogel absorbs up to 60L of water.
- 1Kg of hydrogel absorbs up to 300L of water.
TECHNICAL PROPERTIES HYDROGEL
In this section you can see the technical properties of the hydrogel.
HYDROGEL APPLICATION GUIDE AGRICULTURE
From reference the application rate would be 2-4 grams of dry hydrogel per litre of substrate, or between 100-400 grams of hydrogel per tree (depending on size).
To see dosage and application recommended for Alquera hydrogel in this section: use of hydrogel in agriculture.
ADVANTAGES IN THE USE OF HYDROGEL
Las características retenedoras de agua del hidrogel le dotan de una serie de ventajas para las plantas que vamos a listar a continuación:
- Improve sowing: The use of hydrogel improves the germination rate of seeds. Also the survival rate in seedling transplants.
- Roots: The use of hydrogel promotes root development, increases the resistance of seeds to growth diseases.
- Water Saving: By retaining both irrigation and rainwater, it achieves water savings, drought resistance, increases soil water reserves, improves the effectiveness of irrigation and rainfall.
- Permeable Soil: Improve soil permeability, and the use of organic matter in the soil.
- Fertilisation: Improve the effect of fertilisation, reduce nutrient loss and protect the sub-terranean water environment.
- Optimum in Plants: It does not harm plants in the long term, improves soil fertility and reduces stocking.