In this section we will look at the implementation guide of the Hydrogel for Plants which you can find in Alquera. You can also download the Technical Dossier where you can print and download all the information.
WATER ABSORPTION BY THE HYDROGEL
The hydrogel you find in Alquera has an absorption rate of up to 400 times its weight in water. The absorption depends on the salinity of the water. According to the specification:
- Distilled water absorption: 400 times its weight in water (1 gram of dry hydrogel would absorb 400ml of water).
- Absorption of tap water: Greater than 100 times its weight in water (1 gram of hydrogel would absorb more than 100ml of water). On average we would put 1 gram would absorb 300ml of water.
See more technical characteristics of the hydrogel.
HYDROGEL IN POTS AND SEEDBEDS
Hydrogel is ideal for use in pots and seedbeds. With the use of hydrogel the plants in pots and seedbeds will be continuously hydrated. The amount of hydrogel to be used depends on the size/volume of the pot or seedbed.
- REFERENCE DOSE: 1.5-3 grams of hydrogel/litre of substrate
A reference size for hydrogel in pots and seedbeds would be 1,5-3Kg/m3i.e. 1.5-3 grams per litre of substrate. The higher the aeration of the plants, the higher the range in the upper range, as the evaporation of water from the hydrogel into the air will be higher.
HYDROGEL FOR SEEDLING TRANSPLANTATION, ROOT MAINTENANCE WITH HYDROGEL
- REFERENCE DOSE: 5 grams of hydrogel/litre of substrate
Plant roots suffer during handling, storage and transport. In this process, they tend to lose water and this will directly affect their survival. The application of hydrogel will help to keep the roots always hydrated, allowing the roots to breathe.
HYDROGEL FOR TRANSPLANTING TREES AND SHRUBS
The dosage will vary between 60 grams and 400 grams per tree, depending on the following conditions:
- Planting hole 30x30x30cm: 60-100 grams per tree
- Planting hole 40x40x40cm: 120-180 grams per tree.
- Large trees with irrigation: 260-360 grams per tree
- Large trees without irrigation: 300-400 grams per tree
- For reforestation of small trees: 3-40 grams per tree.
When transplanting a tree or shrub, the size of the tree or shrub will influence the amount of water retainer or hydrogel to be applied.
HOW TO APPLY HYDROGEL IN TRANSPLANTATION
The hydrogel is applied dry, without hydrating. The hole is sized as usual, so that it contains the root ball of the tree and space for root development.
A 1/3 of the recommended dose should be placed at the bottom of the hole. From the soil that has been extracted, set aside 1/3 for the final cover of about 5cm once the hole is plugged. Mix the remaining 2/3 of water retainer with the other 2/3 of soil. Once the root ball of the tree is inserted into the hole, pour in this mixture. Finally, add the remaining 1/3 of the soil as the last layer.
HYDROGEL FOR TREES
- Irrigated tree dosage: 260-360 grams dry per tree
- Non-irrigated tree dosage: 300-400 grams dry per tree
- Dosage small trees: 160-240 grams dry per tree
- Dosage small trees without irrigation: 180-260 grams dry per tree
- Dosage shrubs with irrigation: 60-80 g/shrub
- Dosage shrubs without irrigation: 80-100 g/shrub
APPLICATION WITH LOCALISED IRRIGATION SYSTEM
Application of the product without hydrating. Apply the hydrogel together with the drippers by digging holes of about 20-30cm in diameter and a depth of 30-40cm. Distribute the product so that each hole around the tree has the same amount of product. Then apply 1/3 of the product to the bottom of the hole and 2/3 mixed with the backfill soil. Leave the top 5cm layer untreated.
APPLICATION WITHOUT LOCALISED IRRIGATION SYSTEM
Apply the product without moisturising. Make holes around the tree about 20-30cm in diameter and 30-40cm deep, and at a distance of about 30-40cm from the tree, always trying not to damage the roots. Pour 1/3 of the product at the bottom of the hole and mix the other 2/3 with the soil. Pour 1/3 into the top layer, covering the last 5cm with soil.
HYDROGEL FOR FRUIT TREES
REFERENCE DOSE: 200 grams per fruit tree.
In fruit trees, a water retainer increases the plants' access to water and fertiliser for at least 5 years.
HYDROGEL IN TURF AND SOD
REFERENCE DOSE: 50-100 grams per m2.
The product should be incorporated into the soil to a depth of 10-20mm. Subsequently sow the grass or unroll the sod.
STRUCTURAL SOIL MIXTURE OF GRAVEL AND EARTH
Structural soil is a highly permeable medium, applying Alquera Hydrogel facilitates the mixing of the gravel with the soil and increases the water retention capacity. The dosage in this case would be 1-3Kg/m3 or 1-3 grams/litre.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION OF THE HYDROGEL
You can see technical data of the hydrogel in this section: Technical data hydrogel.