Activated carbon or activated charcoal is porous carbon that traps compounds, mainly organic, present in a gas or liquid. Filtration, which aims to filter solids from a liquid, activated carbon or activated charcoal is the purification process with the largest number of applications.
IDENTIFICATION AND PROPERTIES OF POWDERED CHARCOAL
Name: Powdered activated carbon
Synonyms: Activated carbon, Black carbon
- Appearance: Black solid (powdered and unpowdered porous solids)
- pH: 6.8 (1% aqueous solution)
- Melting point/freezing point: >1000ºC
- Initial boiling point/boiling range: >1000ºC
- Flammability (solid, gas): Non-flammable
- Density: 2.31 g/cm3
- Bulk density: 300-700 Kg/m3
- Specific gravity: 2.31
- Solubility(ies): Insoluble in water @ pH 6.8 and 20ºC
- Auto-ignition temperature: 430°C
- Explosive properties: Non-explosive
- Oxidising properties: Non-oxidising
- Drinking water filters, where the carbon is able to retain fungicides, fats or oils, disinfectants and detergents among others.
- Recovery of gold and precious metals. When they cannot be separated from the minerals by flotation, they are dissolved with the help of cyanide and adsorbed on activated carbon.
- Air purification, e.g. in hospital emergency rooms. Activated charcoal or activated carbon is the best antidote
- Manufacture of body and facial scrubs, by adsorbing skin oils and impurities
- For use as an absorbent in industrial, professional and consumer environments.
I ordered a kilo of activated charcoal. The quality is very good. I am happy with my purchase and will definitely order again.